Have a Damaged Tooth? Check Out Dental Bonding!
A dazzling smile can work wonders for one’s self-confidence and overall appearance. In cosmetic dentistry, dental bonding emerges as a versatile and cost-effective solution to address various dental imperfections. At Holyoke Mall Dental, our Holyoke, MA, dentist, Dr. Eric Chen, offers dental bonding services, transforming smiles and restoring confidence.
If you’re facing issues such as a discolored, chipped, or cracked tooth, dental bonding is the ideal solution to quickly restore your natural smile. Discover the affordable and transformative benefits of dental bonding by reading our helpful guide below.
When Is Dental Bonding Recommended?
If you suffer from minor cosmetic dental problems, Dr. Chen can help. We treat the following cosmetic imperfections with dental bonding:
- Decayed teeth
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Stained teeth
- Misshapen teeth
This corrective procedure can even protect an exposed tooth root. If you’re still not sure if this procedure is right for you, contact us at (413)-538-7400. We’ll answer any questions you may have and schedule your appointment.
Advantages of Dental Bonding
When compared to other cosmetic dental procedures, dental bonding offers distinct advantages, such as:
- Cost-Effectiveness: Dental bonding is more affordable compared to dental crowns or veneers, making it accessible to a wider range of individuals.
- Minimally Invasive: The treatment involves minimal tooth preparation and preserves the natural tooth structure.
- Quick and Efficient: Dental bonding is typically completed in a single visit, saving time for patients.
- Natural-Looking Results: The composite resin used in bonding can be customized to match the natural color of the teeth, ensuring aesthetically pleasing and natural-looking outcomes.
- Versatility: Dental bonding can address multiple dental issues, providing a comprehensive solution for patients.
The Dental Bonding Process
The dental bonding process can take as little as one hour to complete and will involve minimal discomfort. Anesthetics are rarely used in this procedure, but Dr. Chen will determine the best treatment plan for your needs. He’ll also customize the resin to perfectly match the color of your natural tooth.
A tooth is prepared for dental bonding by lightly etching the affected surface and applying the bonding liquid. This liquid will help the resin better bond to the tooth, increasing its stability and strength.
After the liquid sets, Dr. Chen will apply the resin to the problem area. From there, he’ll then sculpt the resin into the desired shape. After the resin has hardened, he’ll trim, smoothen, and polish it to appear more natural. Then, you’re ready to show off your new smile!
Dental Bonding Aftercare & Maintenance
To ensure the longevity of dental bonding, Dr. Chen provides patients with comprehensive aftercare instructions. By following these guidelines, patients can maintain the health and appearance of their bonded teeth:
- Maintain Excellent Oral Hygiene Practices: Dr. Chen advises patients to continue regular brushing and flossing at least twice a day. This routine helps keep the teeth and gums clean, preventing issues that may compromise the bonded teeth.
- Avoid Damaging Habits: Patients are encouraged to refrain from chewing on ice or using their teeth to open packages. These habits can put excessive force on the bonded teeth, potentially leading to damage or premature wear.
- Routine Dental Check-ups and Professional Cleanings: Regular visits to Dr. Chen for check-ups are essential in monitoring the condition of bonded teeth. Through routine examinations, any potential issues can be detected and addressed promptly. Professional cleanings performed by the dental team help maintain the cleanliness and integrity of the bonded teeth.
Dental Bonding Durability
Depending on the amount of bonding applied, the bonding material can last three to five years before a replacement or repair is needed. The plastic resin isn’t as strong as natural tooth enamel, so it’s more likely to chip, stain, or break.
The longevity of dental bonds will also depend on your oral health habits. For example, chewing on hard objects, such as ice or hard candy, since it may break the bonding material.
Limitations and Considerations
While dental bonding offers numerous benefits, it’s essential to acknowledge its limitations and considerations. Unlike dental crowns or veneers, dental bonding may not be as durable and long-lasting. The bonding material is susceptible to staining and discoloration over time, requiring regular maintenance and care.
Additionally, bonded teeth may be more prone to chipping or breaking, especially if subjected to excessive force or habits such as nail-biting or chewing on hard objects. Patients must be mindful of these factors and follow proper aftercare instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
On average, the cost of dental bonding is between $300 to $600 per tooth. This is a worthy investment to restore the appearance and function of your teeth. You can also contact your insurance provider to ask if they’ll cover a portion of the procedure.
Depending on your insurance plan and provider, dental insurance may cover a portion of the cost of your procedure if it’s necessary for your oral health. It’s best to contact your insurance provider and ask if dental bonding is partially, fully, or not covered.
Dental bonding is not only a safe method of restoring a tooth’s appearance, but it also protects the tooth from potentially harmful bacteria. Imperfections such as chips and cracks make it easier for cavities to develop. Bonding treatments can help prevent the possibility of cavities by sealing damaged areas.
The tooth-colored resin used for dental bonding will perfectly match the natural color and shape of your tooth. Many patients forget they have bonds because the resin seamlessly blends in with the rest of their teeth.
Say Goodbye to Imperfections
Our experienced dental team is dedicated to performing treatments with care and passion. When you’re ready to restore your smile, schedule an appointment with Dr. Chen at our Holyoke office by calling (413)-538-7400.
You can also fill out an online contact form, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Holyoke Mall Dental proudly serves patients across Hampden County, MA, like Westfield, Southampton, and South Hadley, MA. We look forward to seeing you in the office!